15 Amazing Buyer Personas Facts
Marketers and business owners whether in startup or established in business are continually making mistakes by avoiding the work of buyer persona development.
Culprits in the main, are social media marketers who operate under an I know best model and simply continue to put relevant imagery out to your channels in the hope that they catch a potential customers eye and help you to generate sales leads.
The thing is, this mode of operation can work, but it’s a very loose approach to marketing. At a basic level, no matter what the marketing type (see below) you need to identify who the customer is, what language they use, what messaging will resonate with them and for what reason.
- Content Marketing
- Social Media
- Voice Search
- Facebook Ads
Defining your persona will also tell you what they like and dislike about your companies product or service. You can then lean on that to up your lead generation and attract like minded people, or those with the same points of pain within their businesses.
Please note that you can have one persona that has several positive and negative things about your offering, but this also enables your messaging to be varied and targeted at the same time.
Why would you want to be broad with your application of marketing messaging when you can be definite and purposeful. The more defined and accurate, the easier to attract the right type of business over any type of business.
15 buyer personas facts that will blow your mind
- Adobe saw a 10% increase in email orders, a decrease of 78% in time to market, a 59% increase in web visitors and 53% increase in web revenues with a persona-based launch.
- Siemens saw a 200% higher engagement rate and a 50% increase in persona-based nurture campaigns.
- Metrica B2B saw a 721% increase in top-of-the-funnel inquiries using a persona led strategy
- Pegasystems saw a 20% increase in pipeline value, 100% increase in sales qualified leads year over year, 50% increase in conversion, and 5x more contacts mapped to a persona and responding to campaigns.
- Companies who exceed lead and revenue goals were 2.4x as likely to use personas for demand generation than those who missed lead and revenue goals.
- Forrester said using personas increases email open rates 2-5 times
- MarketingSherpa said using personas drove a 3x increase in closed sales deals
- DemandGen state that persona-based content increased customer engagement almost six-fold when targeting cold leads (10% vs 58%)
- Pragmatic Marketing state that persona-driven development gave 10-20% higher customer satisfaction levels
- Companies that do not use a persona led marketing strategy can see wastage in their marketing spend of $0.2M annually in companies with a market cap of under $100M, $2.1M annually for mid-sized companies under $1B and $3.3M annually for companies over $1B
- Companies that use multiple sources of information to develop their buyer personas see more stable continued success than those that use fewer sources of information
- 1% of companies who exceed revenue goals report themselves to be consistently effective at maintaining personas, compared to only 13% of companies who fell short
- 71% of companies who exceed revenue and lead goals have documented personas vs. 37% who simply meet goals and 26% who miss them (Cintell)
- 82% of companies using Personas have been able to create a clearer understanding of who buyers are (ITSMA)
- 90% of companies using Personas have managed to create an improved value proposition (ITSMA)
So there you have it. Fact after fact after fact. I think that now, even if you haven’t thought of including buyer personas into your marketing strategy, it’s a no-brainer after reading this.
When looking for inspiration, we often need to know or at least see how other people or companies are using something to success and here you now have it.
Buyer Persona Development
If you are now inspired and you want to know how you can develop your own persona(s) for your business or department then you should definitely download my ebook, The Ultimate Guide to Buyer Personas.
In this guide I take you through the 5 pillars of understanding, bringing the reasoning for them to you and then I take you through the why, the how and explain the difference between a buyer persona and a buyer profile. I explain what you should do and what you shouldn’t do as well as what to ask and who should ask it.
Should you want to take it further, please do contact me here and I’d be happy to discuss how I can help.
Crush Your Quota, Sell like a Rockstar!!
Do you want to sell to your clients like companies like Adobe?
- 10% Increase in email orders
- 78% decrease in time to market
- 59% increase in website visitors
- 53% increase in online revenues
Then download our guide to Selling with Personas and increase conversions, decrease sales cycles and improve profitablility.